Tuesday 20 January 2015

P is a part of people's prejudice

YOU DISCRIMINATE


18/1/2015:
seva cafe- time 7:30 pm

New faces were introducing there talent on stage when the atmosphere changed. . .

Fun was replaced with Fear

Fear... for me
I got a tight resounding slap from my fiance. . .
in front of everyone

The suffocating silence was broken by some theatre artist calling for attention to enact their play on gender discrimination.

The play displayed a girl getting suffocated in her home by her strict and orthodox parents treating their brother like a king, and daughter, like a convict.
"Tu khud ko badal, tu khud ko badal tab hi to zamana badlega" - song sung by the performers between the scenes

They paused the play at critical points and replaced the girl with a member of the audience resulting in heated discussions. The play ended with the girl sitting in the temple like a devi and everybody worshipping her while the mediator recited a poem by Kamla Bhasin,

"Tum ladki ho, tumhe kyu padna hai?" (poem)

I was watching the play. I was watching the paradox.

Moments before the play, my fiance was shouting at me 
like a loudspeaker because I earned more than him & he slapped me. 
Nobody reacted. They just watched.

The same people were discussing on the issue they just ignored. WHY?




        I discriminate. 
        I am a part of it.

0 comments:

Post a Comment